Tuesday, August 5, 2008

It's all her fault!

So the verdict is in. It's all my daughter's fault. She's the one who put me in the hospital for two days. Damn. I knew kids could be rough on a person, but jeez.....

A little background you say?

Remember last week (and a bit) when I was complaining about my jaw? No? Dartboard medicine and all? Yeah... that's the one.... well I never did get an answer as to what's going on with my jaw - until today. Yes the antibiotics helped, and perhaps there was an infection along with the jaw problem but the pain has never really subsided completely so my Dr & I have been crossing things off the list. One thing to check was "temporomandibular joint disorder" - quite the handle, eh? "but it's something I'll have to go to a dentist for because it's kind of outside of the scope of doctors". OK so off to the dentist I went....

Well did you know that we actually have a DISK (similar to the ones in the spine) where our jaws meet our skulls?? I didn't....

And did you know that this disk can be "slipped".... just like the ones in the back.... and that this can be caused by some relatively minor blow if it's lined up just so..... ?? Something seemingly harmless like an overly enthusiastic two year old girl smacking her head sideways into mommy's instead of just continuing the tickling/nuzzling game they were playing?? News to me too.....

But there you have it.

My toddler head-butted me, caught me "just so" on the side of the jaw and slipped my temporomandibular disk (or whatever it's called). Yay. Now on to my insanely high continuous doses of anti-inflammatories and into a shnazzy new mouthguard for sleeping over the next month while things "hopefully" fall back into place and I can avoid surgery on my face to repair it.

Here's hoping. I guess it came out easy enough - it should go back in just as quick, right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it is all figured out ... don't let Oz try and record you talking with your mouth guard in like David does me ... and he makes me say funny stuff ... and then just cracks himself up ... :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yay ~ not that you had to go through all of that ~ but that you have it figuredout!

cherrie said...

amazing!!
glad you got it figured out!!