Wednesday, January 21, 2009

We Need a Rock Star!

I have to admit it: I'm jealous of my American friends.

It's not often that I notice the differences between the life I lead and those of my friends South of the 49th. Some negligent little things; like some stores we frequent or other mundane trivialities - the odd difference in laws and such.... but never anything Earth-shattering.

And rarely (if you exclude the weather at this time of year!) do I find myself wishing I could trade places with them - I usually love my life up here.

But I have to admit, after yesterday, I'm more than a little envious of where they're at.

I read the transcript of Obama's speech and all I can say is WOW.

He is so cool. And listen to the people! Check out those crowds!

You have a rock star for a President!

The masses cheering for a politician? Applauding and reveling at his every word? Whoa....

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to have a visionary sitting in the most powerful seat in the land. What it would feel like to be governed by a person who inspired, who commanded faith and hope from everyone he touched....

What must it feel like to live in the most powerful country on Earth in a time that will, more likely than not, be looked back upon as a turning point in history....

We're so jaded about politics and leadership up here that people just don't even care anymore. Most Canadians *might* be able to tell you the name of our current Prime Minister and that's about it. Only half the population bothered to vote during our last election, and even then, only slightly over 30% of them voted for him.

Nice guy and all, but an Obama he ain't.

In fact, we're so hungry for something inspiring that we've paid more attention to your political scene than our own.

I'd bet money that 95% of the Canadian population couldn't even tell you when our Prime Minister may have been sworn in.... and even the 5% wouldn't remember where they were or what they were doing at the time.

But our News outlets were bombarded with Obama's inauguration yesterday: Live on the radio, taking time on every news station, filling my morning paper to the tune of 14 pages of coverage in a special "collectors edition".

Even the three clowns trying to overthrow our government last fall didn't get as much attention. How's that for jaded?

Obama taking the helm has probably, overnight, erased 90% of the Anti-American sentiment built up over the past 8 years, both here and in other countries abroad - it's amazing, really how quickly one man could do that.

I hear him talk about "rebuilding America" and remembering where you came from....and all the inspiring ideas and plans for the future...

And I'm thinking "I wanna do that!" .... and I'm not even American!

I wish he had a Canadian-born brother.

Seriously. We're long overdue for a rock star up here.

So congratulations to you all. And to Obama: Good Luck, there's more than America pinning their hopes on you....

Because really: "So goes America, so goes the world."

(pssst... does that kind of make him our president too?) ;)

1 comment:

Robin said...

Shannon, this post rocks!!! I have the exact same feelings.....I am more hopeful than I have felt in 8 years!!!!

There was a time where we were trying to move to Canada, since this country didn't feel like home for our family.

Thank you!!!!