Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Strepped-out

Ah well, we had a good run, but I suppose all good things must come to an end....

I'm trying to remember the last time the kids got sick. It's been ages.... they just never get sick - colds & sniffles and the odd fever, like all kids, but not really sick. I don't even know if I've had my youngest into the pediatrician for more than a well-baby visit.... I probably have - you don't go almost 3 years without getting sick at all but I know it's certainly been over a year since any of my children have needed a prescription for anything.

I know that because they ALL have prescription medication right now - and the pharmacy had to add the "new" insurance to their files.... the new insurance that my husband's company got just over a year ago!

Yep, it was a good run.

Until Mr. Streptococcus found us....

It started Sunday with my younger son complaining of a sore throat.... and he had a fever. He wasn't complaining much - but he never really does. I know by now to pay attention when that one fusses.

I was concerned enough to get him into the Pediatrician Monday morning - where my nagging doubt was confirmed and his throat swab turned up a positive for Strep throat.

Lovely.

Then I picked up my daughter from daycare Monday after work.... and she greeted me with a wide open mouth, pointed inside and declared "My mouth is sick!". Which, I suppose, is two-year-old-ease for "I have a sore throat"

My oldest has been battling a bit of a cough and also pronounced a mildly sore throat when he was coughing.

Perfect.

So this morning included another trip to the Doctor for throat swabs on those two. Hers was positive, his was not - but with two siblings in the house with Strep throat, the Pediatrician decided to err on the side of caution and put him on the antibiotics too.

I'm grateful that he's saved me a third trip back sometime later this week.

So here we were, on a Tuesday, with the whole family at home. The kids think it's great.... just a nice long extended weekend for them.... Mom & Dad are a little stressed though. Missing work for sick kids isn't good for anyone.

It's my busiest season at work, so Dad called in yesterday and again this morning to accommodate the doctor visits. I finished up around noon today and relieved him so that he could put in the afternoon at least.... and tomorrow will be mine - although only until he gets home from work... I'm going to have to work tomorrow evening regardless.

And then, hopefully, life can return to normal.

It should. Tomorrow will be better.... my younger son will have been on his antibiotics for the required 24 hrs (plus) so that he can return to school and daycare - and his big brother isn't actually sick, despite the medication... so they can both go in tomorrow.

I'll have tomorrow with my baby girl and then she'll be good to go again too.

I'm going to look on the bright side, enjoy the stolen day with my daughter and make the best of my forced time off. Maybe we can paint our nails and find that "missing" Candyland game board (that I'm fairly positive can be easily located under her bed!). Maybe snuggle and watch a movie.... Hey! I could have NAP tomorrow!

Maybe I haven't given "home with sick kids" days their due after all ;)

No comments: